Thursday 16 October 2014

Tako Tao - my untakoyaki quandary


Of course Nagoya was not the best place in Japan for me to sample Takoyaki. However, because we were there at a time where anti- Japanese demos were riling up the nationalists in Japan, we were left with little choice. 
Under the tight guard of our friendly but very vigilant translator, I walked away not too impressed with the hot octopus balls. 
So how'd I end up wanting these made by Nepalese chefs in Malaysia today ?  Crowd mentality. See, there's always a line plus if you arrive too late they like to tell you it's sold out while they make the last 2 batches for themselves to takeaway . Garrghh


What's inside : More chopped cabbage than abalone slice.
With more mayo than I would like.
Come to think of it, maybe I'm just buying it for the bonito flakes and brown sauce alone.
And then at the same time I wanna cut the ball without it deflating and flatulating out its contents ( yeah right, in my dreams...this mission is always a failure )


Strange are my choices in life.
This is a most untakoyaki ball but I still think I want to like it.

Location : Queensbay Mall, Penang

2 comments:

Tokyo in Pics said...

I actually read an article today saying that the octopus is amongst the most intelligent of animals. It made feel a little sad that many of them end up as takoyaki ...

gostansikit said...

It is ! Thanks to Paul the octopus, I think that guy made us look at them in a way we never imagined. I had a chance encounter with a young one in ( sadly ) a public acquarium. It had a shy yet inquisitive nature that just endeared us to it instantly . He looked us straight in the eye and closed the lid to hide himself in the vessel. A year later we saw him, this time he was already numb , bored and not so curious. Sad .