Monday 1 August 2016

Hong Kee Wan Thun Mee - bamboo kungfu for ultra springy wantan mee


Update : the problem with this operator is , it can be quite unhygienic . There , I've said it . If you go please make sure you either keep your eyes wide open or half shut .

-------

Was very direct with the noodle man , when I saw him .
" I've been waiting for you for a really long time to resurface already "
( they were the original hawkers at the formerly famous corner kopitiam called Yi Garden Cafe on Macalister Road , you see )








And then I asked him about his " other outlet " . To which he informed me that a lot of people ( me included ) mistook that kopitiam in Kampong Malabar for them .
Apparently , they are not the same people .  . That the kopitiam owner had invited someone else to make the noodles .
No wonder .

Anyway , long story short , I am soooooo relieved that they , that he , is back in action .

One bite of the noodles and the world became a perfect place once more , if only for that temporary moment . 
Another nibble of the amazing savoury , fresh , giant , shrimp and pork wantan ball and I instantly floated all the way up to high heaven !






Notice a glass enclosure next to the entrance . Come at the right time and you might just get to see how they use a huge bamboo stick to beat the noodles into the ultra springy and " song hau " state , they are reknowned for .







That's not the only surprise .
They are now conveniently open almost the entire day , from 8.30 am to 10 pm  .

Also , they have an extensive menu which I might just give a go one fine day .

For now , this MYR 5.50 bowl of noodles will fix my longing for Hong Kong style wantan mee ( I had my first taste in a really old part of Kowloon and man , I loved it ! )







What you probably won't find here though, is the overpowering aroma of scallop soup ( some say , some HK operators have replaced scallops with python meat nowadays ) as well as that crazy , insane hot Szechuan sambal dip .


Location : Campbell Street 

No comments: