Saturday 4 February 2017

Authentic Mun Chee Kee - Sam Leong Road



Can't think of anything more perfect to put back the glow on the cheeks , than a steaming hot bowl of soup for supper . And since this shop claims to be the King of Pig Organ's Soup , we're gonna give it a try .





This photo is not mine .
Took it off the Foursquare app , because as I mentioned before in an earlier post , the Chinese foods in Singapore , though familiar sounding ,were a whole new ground for me .
Startling in taste with a marked difference , it made me forget to snap the moment , as I was so consumed and engrossed , in trying to comprehend what it was that was passing through my lips , that it happens .

Yet , I found that the more I ate ,the more I enjoyed it , especially when it came to the rice ( so supremely fragrant you could get wafts of it from the sidewalk ) . Topped with the most tender soy sauce braised , sam chan belly , chopped into tiny little pieces that just melted in the mouth , this was pure comfort to the Chinese soul squirreled deep inside of me .

Very truthfully , I did not fancy the egg with preserved veg as it was the sweet type ( I prefer mine salty ) nor did I enjoy the taupok ( not in picture but sweet also ) . Stewed peanuts were standard . Nice .




Which brings us to the star dish .
The organ soup .
Again , it was a taste that although I was at first unaccustomed to , the more slurping spoonfuls you had , the more syok it felt . 
Liver was just cooked with no blood oozing out whatsoever , stomach had a bit of rubbery twang to it . 
Best part was , that the liquid was refillable ( self service please ) and boy oh boy , was the second round better ( we added on white pepper powder this time which made us sweat from the scalp and believe me that IS a good thing ! )

We also had one kole of lemonade each , which turned out to be the best tasting , most refreshing lemonade I've ever had in my life ( can beat the Malaysian mamak's version yo ) so make sure you try that ! You must !

Next morning , upon waking up , I found a lingering sweet , milky anf lightly creamy aftertaste at the back of my throat .
Don't need to tell you how delightful that felt . Made me soft to the core . 
Mmmm mmm . 
Do try this when you are there .

Location : Sam Leong Road , Singapore



No comments: