Saturday 29 July 2017

Wantan mee with a roast platter - Pusat Pengkalan Enam Enam


KL style wantan mee and Ipoh style wantan mee are very closely related .
Whereas Penang wantan mee is completely different from these 2 styles . I prefer the former .
You also should not compare Hong Kong or San Francisco style wantan mee to this . In both megacities , the springy texture of the noodle and taste of the sauces vastly differ from what is found in Ipoh . However , if you love London chinatown style wantan mee , please continue eating it in London and don't try this . I'm serious . 

And it was on a quest for Ipoh roasted meats ( thanks to Hawker Chan hype ) that I found this stall near Station 18 .
We had earlier on purchased a big , beautiful platter in a hawker centre which was so shocking ( for 17 ringgit only , when it looked like it was worth 48 ringgit ! ) I forgot to snap a pic , so what you see here is actually the second plate after we demolished the first plate of wantan mee ( this costs less than 6 ringgit if I am not mistaken ), plus a platter of 4 .... roast pork , roast duck , roast chicken , char siew ( sadly also no picture as proof but it was so well presented , that I almost fainted from shock  ) . 



The sprinkling of spring onions were perfect , the sawi had just the right amount of dryness , the sauce was delicious , the duck meat had skin with no fat removed , I even found some deep fried pork fat in the mix ....oh heaven ! 
About your kopi. Only those masters from Sitiawan can come up with something that makes my iris upturn in ecstasy . Gawwwddddd !!!! I can ditch Chang Jiang kopi already . Yours is better because I like a tinge of sour in my kopi !

Yes , Ipoh , it took me so long to find this version which is very close to the ones sold in Pudu as far as 20 years back . But I'm glad you kept to your craft and I really hope you maintain it . 

Location : Pusat Pengkalan Enam Enam , Ipoh 

Note : only the soup not very syok . Roasts ( please do not expect gourmet standard char siew , this is standard burnt Malaysian char siew which we prefer )

No comments: