Friday 20 April 2018

Samyang Yukgaejang - best way to cook


Been consuming Samyang Noodle's Seafood Party for a good number of years . The problem is , because it's so addictive , it's ALWAYS sold out ! Situation's been like that for two years already .
 Those desperate for their fix will have to buy them in single packs which makes it more expensive compared to the multipack .





Anyway , I think about 2 or 3 months back , Tesco had a promo on this newest product to grace their shelves . I tried it and have been buying it regularly since ( yesterday it was priced below MYR 16 )

The thing about having had the non halal version and now given the halal version , we non halal eaters face two dilemmas .

One , is whether the taste and texture will remain or not .
Two , Yukgaejang , as far as I know it , is a soup with a meat base . But I checked the ingredients on the back and it doesn't state any meat source . Which is STRANGE because no pure vegetarian soup stock will be as tasty as this .
What I'm saying is , while the Halal status is probably verified , non beef eaters out there might need to evaluate if they really want to have this . You know ? Cos you walk into any Korean restaurant and you do a run through the menu and sure enough there will be a Yukgaejang soup which most times features beef inside .
Don't believe me ? Well , you can always do a wiki . Best , if you're particular about taking anything with beef is to stick to their bestselling Seafood Party brand , I know that one is flavoured by octopus and stuff .


The point of today's post is to teach the non halal eaters , how to mantain that texture and springiness which you have grown to love .
Example : snapped in that picture above .

Oh believe me , there is some technique you have to employ or it won't be so nice . It boils down to timing and trick .

In case you're scoffing at me over this , I've been cooking instant noodles almost daily since I was 15 , so I know what I'm talking about . My family of fussy eaters have tried to cook it themselves but they insist my version is better than any hawker stall out there .

And No , I haven't died yet . My weight loss is due to exercise and a minute adjustment of my weakness for late night supper .



I'll try to make it as simple as possible .
Note : these 3 rules are only applicable to Samyang's Yukgaejang and Kimchi noodles .

You can cook the Seafood Party as you usually do . 

Rule number one 

Use the smallest pot that you can fit the noodles into . Fill it with water but only up to halfway up the noodles.




Two 

Boil . Then flip over and stir .
When noodles are cooked , the colour will turn yellowish ( see noodle close up shot above , yeah almost gluten like is the ideal ) . 
Yellow = cooked . 
Bring the fire down at this point .




Three 

Do not overcook if you want it springy and tasty .
Most important for this noodle : ONLY Add the soup powder only at the last minute just before you switch off the fire .



Enjoy ! 
Too salty ? Just add hot water . It's ok to do so after cooking . Make sure you stir it up .

No comments: