Sunday 8 October 2017

Nasi Kandar Simpang Ampat


Before you think that I am crazy for liking this place , I want you to take a good look at the server in the skullcap kopiah , and tell me if you see a glowing complexion or not ? Next , take a peep at his helper and see how clean , ironed and neat his clothes are .



Pretty nostalgic set up . Reminds me of the mamaks as depicted by Lat the cartoonist . There is a quiet pride in their work and I'm soaking it in by snapping a pic so that I can capture that moment and look at it forever .



That green thingy is an old bicycle pushcart . Most pushcart stalls in Penang are painted in ocean blue , so I really don't know what is the significance of this being in green . 
My guess is that it is could be originally from Kedah , Kelantan or maybe even Perak . Perhaps the green is representive of the religion . Just making a wild guess , as I didn't ask questions  .




In fact he reminds me of a former schoolmate who is of Arabic descent . She had the best , most dewy and softest baby looking face in the school and he looks as if they could be related . Lolz .
Anyway , when we want to eat in the mainland of Penang , where flies are a huge problem , this is one small detail that gives me some form of assurance that some levels of hygiene are adhered to . 



Other than flies , the looooooong waiting time before your turn to get served comes can really gnaw your brain away .


However , the instant you hit whatever you've selected , ok , I'll say it's worth it , but only if you have time to spare .


My simple selection ( I asked for kambing and bendi ) of mutton and ladies fingers , surprised me because the mutton with bone on was not only really huge , it was super tender , really fresh meat with delightful sticky ligaments and when you tuck into the kuah campur banjir ( mixed sauce , banjir means you want your rice flooded ) the concoction is very light , not too oily unlike those on Penang island and it was strange how non heaty this turned out to be .
Either there's some magic going on in here or they've unlocked the secret to non heaty curries !



The squid and beef was my dining partner's. He too felt as if he had just had a large cup of soyabean with grass jelly after the meal , which makes it an ideal meal for those who cannot take rich and greasy foods or will feel very warm and uncomfortable after having mamak nasi kandar .




The bestseller here is undoubtedly the fried chicken .
Light batter , more turmeric , super fresh and naturally sweet meat .
Sort of reminds me of Tanjong Tokong / Kedah fried chicken recipes and like I said , this is more to ayam goreng kunyit than your usual unnaturally red and hard crusted mamak fried chicken .
It's also saltier than what the islanders eat , so you MUST consume it when still hot or the salt just gets saltier somehow . I know cos we did a takeaway and waited till later to get down on it .

Last but not least , as you're lining up and the server is scooping up the rice from the pot , notice that it is more yellow than usual and tastes more lemak than fluffy . 
Whatever their cooking secrets are , it sure as hell works for me .
Very appetising , I like !



Take note : Closed on Sundays 

Location : Simpang Empat , Penang , near a huge Petronas petrol station .

No comments: